Thursday, March 11, 2010

Well I never!

Gavin came home today with an invitation to a birthday party for a little boy in his class (they invited the whole class) - incidentally the same little boy whose mom RSVPed to Gavin's party a few weeks ago and never showed up. A couple of things struck me as odd.

For starters, the party is being held at a gymnastics center in town. I'm sure they have tumble parties or whatever but it seems odd to me that a 6 year old boy would choose that for his party. I guess it's better than a 12 year old boy choosing that for his party, huh?

Also, included in the Spongebob invitation was a folded up piece of paper asking us to bring an unwrapped toy for this little boy to give to the Women & Children's Rescue Mission in lieu of a gift for the birthday boy. While I applaud the effort (and honestly, I do) it seems kind of Mommy Dearest to me and we're not talking Joan Crawford rich here. This is a middle/lower class suburb in Virginia and I think there is a better way to teach social responsibility than to deny a 6 year old birthday gifts (who here thinks the parents voted for Obama?). I have a hard time believing that he chose this on his own. Even if he is all for it (and he very well may be) I would bet the farm that his parents urged him to do it.

Then again, M & G don't play with most of the stuff that they got for their birthdays anymore, so maybe (probably) I'm talking out of my ass.

Maybe I'm feeling guilty. Like maybe I should have made my kids give their gifts to charity. Heaven knows Marshall chokes up when he asks about the less fortunate, so I'm sure he would have done it ("happily done it" is perhaps too strong a sentiment). But then again, Marshall chokes up at lots of things.

Still, I'm kind of cheesed and feel put-upon. What was the point in adding the little note in the invitation? So that us other parents would feel guilty about it? I mean, they could have quietly taken all the gifts to the mission after the party without letting everyone know. It's almost like they're boasting or something. I almost feel horrible for saying that.

Am I also supposed to feel guilty if I don't take Gavin to the party? Like I'm shorting the needy children one less toy? I mean, this child didn't come to Gavin's party, even after his mom said he would be coming and I still don't know why. It's weird, I tells ya!

So what say you? Should I take him to the party? Am I being a snot about the charity thing? I am navigating uncharted waters with both questions here.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a mother, so keep THAT in mind ... I can't imagine letting a six-year-old kid choose much of anything, so who knows why the party's at a gymnastics center? Maybe Mom's sister owns it. I don't get the implication of a gymnastics center anyhow. Is that too girly? Are kids that gender-specific at six? Seriously. I don't even know.

    I doubt that handing over your donation to the Women and Children's Rescue Mission is IN LIEU of gifts for the Birthday Boy. It's just in lieu of GUESTS' gifts to the Birthday Boy. I think it's pretty misguided to semi-force people to donate to a charity of HER choice. Of course it's a good cause. Aren't they all?

    A cousin got married and asked that instead of gifts, guests make donations to an AIDS organization. That seemed cool ... but she wasn't six.

    I think you should just bring Gavin to the party. Let him revel in sugar and fat and noise. What the heck.

    Or I know: Let HIM decide!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt was invited to a birthday party back in the 90's when he was maybe in third grade, where donations to a children's charity were requested in lieu of gifts. Actually, I thought that was very sweet, and a great learning experience. It certainly made Matt, and I'm sure the other invitees, think about giving something to those who are in need. The birthday boy appeared to be very proud that he was doing something to help others, and his Mom claimed that it was his idea (although I'm sure she planted the seed, which is not a bad thing.) If the parents just quietly give the toys to the shelter, then the children maybe wouldn't know and feel involved. I would applaud the effort!

    As far as not bringing her child to Gavin's party after indication that she would, that is not the best example of good manners. I know sometimes things come up, but I would have called, even if after the fact. However, I don't know her circumstances. I would give her the benefit of doubt and take the high road.

    The gymnastics venue could be a good thing, too. Nothing wrong with some physical activity!

    Anyway, that is my 2 cents' worth! Love to all, Auntie B.

    ReplyDelete